BOE Presidents Message
Dear Students, Families and Staff of District 62,
It seems like summer just started and here we are only a couple of weeks away from Iroquois Community School beginning. Before you know it, all our schools will be in session to kick off the start of the 2023-2024 school. Time truly goes fast!
I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for a great 2022-2023 school. I’d like to highlight a few major outcomes from the school year.
- We experienced many successes, including the appointment of our new Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Michael Amadei.
- We saw some administrators leave our district and celebrated longtime members of our District 62 family as they began their retirement. With these changes, we have also welcomed new faces to our District 62 team.
- In May, we swore in our new Board member Gene Haring as our community re-elected three incumbents, Tina Garrett, Beth Morley and Elizabeth Massa.
- We concluded our last 5 year strategic goals plan for the district and now begin the work of preparing for a new one.
- We have improved security in our buildings, worked in a partnership with our Des Plaines Police Department to get much welcomed training in our school buildings.
- We are soliciting plans to make full day kindergarten a reality, as well as starting to look at enhancing our middle school experience.
- We have welcomed several hundred newcomers to our district from foreign countries that include Venezuela, Colombia, Ukraine and Russia.
- We have become the first truly stable and safe learning environment most of those students have had in over a year. I’m happy to report that we have stopped having to deal with daily pandemic reports.
All in all D62 continues to be a place teachers, administrators and most importantly families want to call home. I acknowledge what’s ahead of us, but I also think we are doing phenomenal work. I look forward to an incredible school year!
The Board has committed to being more visible in the community. If you see us, I encourage you to say hello, tell us what we are doing well and what are our opportunities for improvement.
Above all, know that each of us are committed to make this district the best place possible for the children in our schools to learn!
President, Board of Education
Community Consolidated School District 62
Leon Smaage Administration Center
777 East Algonquin Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016
-From the office of President of the Board of Education
Representative, IASB Legislative Delegate
IASB Distinguished Board Leader
Board Member since 2012
Term Expires 2025