Welcome to Community Relations!
Communicating with our parents, employees, and Des Plaines residents is critical as we build a strong constituency of supporters and strive to increase student achievement. District 62 interacts with hundreds of volunteers and shares thousands of communiqués during any given school year. When children, parents, educators and the community work together, students succeed.
What is the role of the Community Relations Department?
The Community Relations Department
- Coordinates communication with internal and external shareholders via various printed and electronic publications, email, social media, the web, meetings, and a staff/parent notification system
- Facilitates media relations, works closely with print reporters, as well as television and radio stations, to report daily/weekly District 62 activities, as well as serves as a liaison in emergency situations
- Coordinates District 62 volunteers and volunteer organizations
- Works with the District 62 Education Foundation to enhance educational programs above and beyond what tax dollars can provide, including the funding and awarding of classroom mini-grants, and the coordination of corporate sponsorships and the employee contribution program
What is the mission of the Community Relations Department?
The mission of the School District 62 Community Relations Department is to promote the district and to inform others through effective communication. The department develops an annual Community Relations Plan, which outlines numerous projects and programs designed to engage our publics. The District 62 Community Relations Plan is based on the following Key Principles:
- Continued academic improvement of all students and the financial stability of the School District.
- Schools belong to the public and the public is entitled to be informed about the operations of the School District.
- Schools operate best when they have a positive relationship with the community in which the community can make known their aspirations for education and the Board of Education can make known its plans and actions.
- It is the responsibility of every member of the school district to promote good school-community relations.
All performance measures are reported on an annual basis to the Board of Education.
For additional information, please contact Jennifer Tempest Bova, Director of Community Relations, or call (847) 824-8070.