Fine Arts Department
The Fine Arts—dance, drama, music, and visual arts—are fundamental ways of knowing and thinking. In addition to their intrinsic value, the arts contribute to children’s development. Through the arts, students gain a greater understanding of their own cultural heritage, as well as a sense of the larger world community. In District 62, students learn the language of the arts and how to interpret visual images, sounds, and story. The district encourages students to learn art, music, and drama in an environment that:
- observes the relevance of the Fine Arts in their lives.
- connects the Fine Arts to other subject areas and real life experiences.
- uses the Fine Arts as a language to understand and communicate about the world.
- develops an understanding of the Fine Arts through discoveries, active involvement, and experiences.
- relates new experiences to prior learning.
- incorporates technology to promote explorations into the Fine Arts.
- has the students’ individual needs met in developmentally appropriate ways.
The Illinois Learning Standards for Fine Arts constructs the foundation of the Fine Arts Curriculum in District 62.
Please contact Sylvia Roe, Administrative Assistant to the Department of Curriculum and Instruction, or call (847) 824-1276.